Astican upgrades facilities for the offshore industry
Astican has completed a major upgrade of the yard´s facilities. Two new workshops as well as extensive improvements on the whole premises have been made in order to meet the increased volume and complexity of the repairs on conventional vessels and rigs.
Astican is a privately owned ship repair yard located in the Port of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria (Canary Islands) just off the North West coast of Africa. Astican provides services in repairs, maintenance and conversions on all types of vessels and offshore units. Over the almost 40 years of activity the yard has performed a great number of extensive repairs to all type of vessels and rigs belonging to well-known companies.
The increase in volume and complexity of the repairs to be performed led Astican to improve and adapt the workshops and premises. This included:
- Two new workshops and increased storage facilities both outdoor and indoors
- Increasing the overhead crane capacity in the workshops
- Dredging of the seabed at the facilities to allow the mooring of semisubmersibles with protruding thrusters
- Acquiring a new 13.100 sqm yard with deep water piers ideal for all kind of drilling units
In addition to this Astican has signed strategic alliances with the main and most important players in the offshore services industry.
- The yard is located at the crossroads of four of the most important areas in the offshore industry: West Africa, the North Sea, Brazil and the Gulf of Mexico. We strive to be the first choice among shipyards when it comes to offshore projects in this area. says Eduardo Valido, KAM at Astican.